On Reddit, Valve said: "The system searches for players that frequently perform significantly above their current skill bracket, and applies an MMR increase [...]." They players get their MMR readjusted until "they're no longer over performing." The developer will monitor the changes and make adjustments in the future.
The Valve employee who posted on Reddit also called for your action: if you have played a game with someone who was clearly smurfing, you are encouraged to provide the Match ID to Cameron.
Apart from the measures against smurfing, Dota 2 received a minor balance patch, too. Here are the changes:
Basic Neutrals now give 5% less XP
MEDALLION OF COURAGE
- Armor reduced from 6 to 5
- Armor reduced from 5 to 4
RING OF PROTECTION
- No longer available in side shop
- Armor reduced from 10 to 8
- Ghost Ship cooldown increased from 60/50/40 to 70/60/50
X MARKS THE SPOT
- X Marks The Spot cooldown increased from 26/20/14/8 to 34/26/18/10
- Leap attack speed reduced from 60/80/100/120 to 25/50/75/100
- Sacred Arrow projectile speed reduced from 950 to 900
HUNTER IN THE NIGHT
- Hunter in the Night attack speed reduced from 30/50/70/90 to 20/40/60/80
- Crippling Fear duration reduced from 5/6/7/8 to 4/5/6/7
- Level 20 Talent reduced from +50 Damage to +40
- Level 25 Talent reduced from +140 Hunter in the Night to +110
- Avalance damage decreased from 90/160/230/300 to 75/150/225/300
- Toss cooldown increased from 11 to 17/15/13/11
- Level 10 Talent reduced from +3 Mana Regen to +2
Autumn Update for Dota Plus
The Autumn Update also brought new content for owners of a Dota Plus subscribtion. The reward section now features new item sets for Lion, Slardar, and Crystal Maiden. Also in terms of matchmaking, subscribers get a new feature: if you've had a really bad team-mate, you can now exclude them from your matchmaking pool, which might be one of the best features newly introduced.
You can check out a more detailed list of notes right here.
What do you think about taking action against smurfs?
Photo credit: Valve